Sunday, February 6, 2011

Christina Aguilera and National Anthem

Aguilera repeats line of national anthem

Early on in her performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner," instead of singing "O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming," Aguilera sang "What so proudly we watched at the twilight's last gleaming."
Aguilera's representatives sent a statement to The Wall Street Journal explaining her fumble.
"I got so caught up in the moment of the song that I lost my place," the statement read.
"I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through."
In a Jan. 24 statement when it was confirmed that she would sing the national anthem at the Super Bowl, Aguilera said, "I have been performing the anthem since I was seven years old and I must say the Super Bowl is a dream come true."
Grammy-winning singer Christina Aguilera said Sunday she "got caught up in the moment" while singing the national anthem before play began at Super Bowl XLV in Arlington, Tex., — leading to her singing the wrong lyrics.

No comments: